Harold Tucker 50K Beach Run
                     Cocoa Beach FL, Jan. 2, 2000

Results submitted by Matt Mahoney

1.  Tony Mangan       42 M  4:15:01
2.  Matt Mahoney      44 M  5:15:15
3.  Stuart Gleman     55 M  5:43:42
4.  Gerry Miller      58 M  6:16:58
5.  Yen Nguyen        37 F  6:20:57
6.  Jeane Ann Klein   32 F  7:01:34
6.  Jim Sullivan      48 M  7:01:34
6.  Curtis Cormier    45 M  7:01:34
    Steven Ehrlich    54 M  DNF (25K)

2 x 25K Relay
1.  "The Only Team"         5:16:09
       Craig Kennedy  41 M  2:41:00
       Mike Gawel     39 M  2:35:09

(Below) Tony Mangan (left) and Matt Mahoney after finishing first and second in the Harold Tucker 50K in Cocoa Beach.

Tony Mangan and Matt Mahoney This was my ninth unsuccessful attempt to break the 5 hour barrier, something I routinely do in other trail 50K's. The coarse, soft sand and crushed shell mixture for the middle part of the race just sucks all the energy out of you. I ran (and walked) this part of the course -- miles 8 to 22 -- barefoot, and wore beach slippers for the flat, hard-packed sand through Cocoa Beach, where the running was good. The course starts at Sidney Fisher Park, goes south 15.5 miles, then turns around at Paradise Beach park in Indian Harbour Beach. The temperatures were in the 70's to about 80, sunny with moderate humidity. Lots of people were out on the beach, fishing, surfing, and working on their tans. The race is always held during low tide, so the starting date and time vary from year to year.

I ran the first two miles with eventual winner Tony Mangan, at what was first an easy pace, but as he picked up the pace to about 7:15/mile, I made an excuse to let him go. Stuart Gleman (Ancient Oaks 100 RD) was only a minute back at the turnaround, and I was determined not to let him pass me again. I had a good scare when I thought I saw him gaining on me with a mile to go, only to find I had held off the relay team instead. I had no idea that Stu had fallen apart in the second half.

Race director Bruce Bayliss did a first class job, with all kinds of goodies to eat after the race. Long time Space Coast Runners club member Harold Tucker coordinated the ham radio operators at the aid stations every 3 miles, allowing the progress of all of the runners to be tracked throughout the race.

(Below) Mike Gawel is greeted by his loyal fans after finishing the second leg of the 2 x 25K relay.

Mike Gawel